Why didn't I read it first time around? Despite being a long-time KotOR junkie, I had no interest in playing an MMO, even one that purported to be KotOR 3. And thus, I had no interest in the tie-in books (beyond Revan).
Ancillary reading. In a mad month before my daughter was born I, erm, played through the entire Jedi Knight campaign in The Old Republic. That's 40 hours I'll never get back.
===
Of the four Old Republic books, Fatal Alliance is the only one set contemporaneous to the events of the game. How well does it work as a tie-in? Well, on the one hand, it's entirely extraneous and, beyond Satele Shan and the general setting, has almost no overlap with TOR.
On the other hand, it takes the general premise of TOR (eight inter-woven arcs, associated with eight class archetypes) and delivers this at small scale. The characters embody the eight classes well and their stories interweave in satisfying, if predictable, ways.
Even the stakes (weirdly high stakes and weirdly un-grounded) match those of the game, which is very obsessed with endless technological superweapons and galaxy-ending rites.
Much like Emissary of the Void, I thought this felt like a marginally interesting tale that would've been a banging RPG campaign. Which is largely what I thought of TOR itself.


No comments:
Post a Comment