Monday, 18 May 2026

continue?

There are 153 Star Wars Expanded Universe novels and, while planning my New Jedi Order reread, I realised I'd read most of them: 73%, to be exact. And I thought, hey, why not complete the set?

You can see the "missing 42" below. There are a few other things you could add for a completionist run, though, which I'll aim to hit. Heart of the Jedi, an unpublished Bantam novel from the early 90s which leaked online. Heir to the Jedi, written as an EU book and hastily converted into a Disney novel. The Thrawn Ascendency trilogy, again published under Disney but explicitly intended by Timothy Zahn to fit with the EU. And there will be some necessary rereads where I've read some but not all of a series - most notably the first two-thirds of Fate of the Jedi. In total, I think we'll hit c. 50-60 novels. 

This may seem like a lot of books, and I do want to read some things that aren't Star Wars over the coming months and years, but I think it's possible: SW books are generally pretty easy reads; I've got a lot of time for reading on my hands right now; and for many later novels (rule of thumb - the later the book was published, the less likely I am to have read it), there are very good audiobook productions so I can combine with running or commuting. 

And this project will be far more casual than the NJO reread - I will make my way through at my own pace (they're not publishing any more of these things, so time is on my side), in an order of my choosing, and I probably won't write very much about each book - although I will post something and I will try to reflect on just why I didn't read it the first time round. And the last two missing books I read will be Crucible by Troy Denning and Star Wars by George Lucas. 

As well as completing the EU novels, I'm taking the opportunity to work through some wider works. Some of these are ancillary works (I'll read the Dawn of the Jedi comics alongside Into the Void) and some of these are just for fun and interest (you're going to see me get immediately distracted and read through the Republic run of comics).

Cards on the table - I actually began this quest earlier this year when I started listening to The Old Republic audiobooks, so the below is a little bit out of date already. I mean, technically I started this in 1998 with Tales from Jabba's Palace, so there we are.  




No comments:

Post a Comment

clone wars vol 6: on the fields of battle

  Right, sojourn into The Clone Wars (2008) over, we're back on the CWMMP track. Note that - and I'm sorry, as I quite like her as a...