The New Face of War (republic issues 51-52)
The Dark Horse Clone Wars run splits into two strands: the Ostrander / Duuresma strand, which focuses on Quin, Aayla Secura and the wider supporting cast established in the 1999 - 2002 comics; and the Haden Blackman strand, which focuses on Anakin, Obi-Wan, ARC Troopers and Asajj Ventress. The Blackman strand is fun but - largely - frothy, throwaway stuff, and this arc is no exception.
Blast Radius (republic issue 53)

More passable fare featuring Obi-Wan, Ventress and Durge. Has a brilliant bit where Durge uses a group of Skakoan techs as a makeshift high-pressure explosive. Funny that Durge essentially gets Poochie-d after this.
Jedi: Shaak Ti
It's almost cruel collecting this Ostrander / Duursema gem alongside Republic 51 - 53, so marked is the difference in quality. There's so much meaty stuff crammed in here, told with incredible efficiency and tight plotting. I wasn't expecting to see Saguro Autem return so quickly, nor such a muscular focus on Quin. Shogar Tok is one of the great entries in the outstanding Ostrander / Duursema rogues gallery.
Probably the only criticism I have of this is that it's not particularly interested in Shaak Ti herself. I didn't find her particualarly interesting going in, and I didn't find anything in here to change that.



No comments:
Post a Comment