Tuesday, 2 June 2026

jedi council: acts of war / darth maul

Jedi Council: Acts of War

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

How do you do an interesting story about the Jedi Council when, as established in the pages of the Republic comics, they're a charisma-free zone? Simple - introduce some actually interesting members. Micah Giiett's card is clearly marked, by dint of him not being on the Council in The Phantom Menace, but he's great fun while it lasts. As are the other new Jedi introduced in this - Lilit Twoseas, Tsui Choi (who will go on to appear in Revenge of the Sith), K'Krukh (who will go on to be extremely important) - who stand in stark contrast to the boring Jedi Masters from the movies.

Despite the largely dull main cast, I love Acts of War. I read about a third of this in the Star Wars weekly comics when I was a kid, and while it wasn't really clear to me what was going on (or who Vilmarh Grakh was), the aesthetics and vibe has cast a long shadow on my conception of Star Wars. (The "I can't get closer without fouling us on the balloon tethers" sequence is probably my perfect Star Wars). I've read it in full many times since and it is always a treat to revisit.

 

Darth Maul




 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Correctly understands that there's nothing interesting to be done with Darth Maul as a character, and instead provides a 96-page showcase for some fantastic Jan Duursema art. Tremendous stuff.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

clone wars vol 6: on the fields of battle

  Right, sojourn into The Clone Wars (2008) over, we're back on the CWMMP track. Note that - and I'm sorry, as I quite like her as a...