Monday, 6 July 2026

clone wars vol 3: last stand on jabiim

The Battle of Jabiim (republic issues 55-58)

Staggering stuff; worthy of all the latter day accolades it receives and more. Not one (Obi-Wan is presumed KIA), not two (the Jedi have banded together the orphaned Padawans), but three (the GAR is sent to effectively seize a planet from its inhabitants) A-grade premises woven into a story of great scope and emotional range. Things spiral further and further out of control; everyone can see it happening but nobody can stop it. The Padawan Pack's final stand in issue 3 is unbelievable. "I'll sleep when I'm dead." Such an important piece of Anakin's character arc, too. Haden Blackman's finest work; this is where it's at, folks.

Enemy Lines (republic issue 59)



 

 

 

 

 

 

A worthy coda to the Battle of Jabiim and a story that essentially writes itself following Episode II. The main issue here, and it's quite stark after four great Anakin issues, is that Ostrander doesn't really have much interest in writing Anakin beyond "future Darth Vader". So Anakin comes across as very one-dimensional. Ostrander is interested in writing A'Sharad Hett, however; seeds are being planted here that will take another 160 years to properly mature.

I love how Ostrander is pulling out obscure, existing worlds for these bottle stories. We had Brentaal IV in Jedi: Shaak Ti and this time it's Aargonar. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

clone wars vol 6: on the fields of battle

  Right, sojourn into The Clone Wars (2008) over, we're back on the CWMMP track. Note that - and I'm sorry, as I quite like her as a...